Atlanta, GA – Crawford & Company® (NYSE: CRD-A and CRD-B),recently announced its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2023.
Based in Atlanta, Crawford & Company (NYSE: CRD‐A and CRD‐B) is a leading global provider of claims management and outsourcing solutions to insurance companies and self‐insured entities with an expansive network serving clients in more than 70 countries. The Company’s two classes of stock are substantially identical, except with respect to voting rights for the Class B Common Stock (CRD-B) and protections for the non-voting Class A Common Stock (CRD-A).
GAAP Consolidated Results
Third Quarter 2023
- Revenues before reimbursements of $325.6 million, up 10% over $294.9 million for the 2022 third quarter
- Net income attributable to shareholders of $12.3 million, compared with a loss of $(15.1) million in the same period last year
- Diluted earnings per share of $0.25 for both CRD-A and CRD-B, compared with diluted loss per share of $(0.31) for both CRD-A and CRD-B in the prior year third quarter
Non-GAAP Consolidated Results
Third Quarter 2023
Non-GAAP consolidated results for 2023 exclude the non-cash, after-tax adjustments for amortization of intangible assets of $1.7 million, non-service related pension costs of $1.6 million, and a contingent earnout adjustment of $2.1 million. Non-GAAP consolidated results for 2022 exclude a similar adjustment for amortization of intangible assets of $1.5 million, non-service related pension credits of $(0.4) million, a contingent earnout adjustment of $0.7 million, and a goodwill impairment of $20.9 million.
- Foreign currency exchange rates increased revenues before reimbursements by $0.6 million or less than 1%. Presented on a constant dollar basis to the prior year, revenues before reimbursements totaled $325.0 million, increasing 10% over the 2022 third quarter
- Net income attributable to shareholders, on a non-GAAP basis, totaled $17.7 million in the 2023 third quarter, compared with $7.5 million in the same period last year
- Diluted earnings per share, on a non-GAAP basis, totaled $0.35 for CRD-A and $0.36 for CRD-B in the 2023 third quarter, compared with $0.15 for both CRD-A and CRD-B in the prior year third quarter
- Consolidated adjusted operating earnings, on a non-GAAP basis, were $29.9 million, or 9.2% of revenues before reimbursements in the 2023 third quarter, more than doubling the $13.7 million, or 4.6% of revenues, in the 2022 period
- Consolidated adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP measure, was $38.6 million, or 11.9% of revenues before reimbursements in the 2023 third quarter, increasing 81% over the $21.4 million, or 7.2% of revenues, in the 2022 period
“We continued our momentum of growth and profit expansion in the third quarter of 2023 delivering our twelfth consecutive quarter of growth. Revenues grew by 10% to a new quarterly record and profits more than doubled compared to last year. We have built a strong foundation focused on operational excellence at Crawford, and our technology plus people strategy is driving growth and margin improvement across the business,” commented Rohit Verma, Chief Executive Officer of Crawford & Company.
“North America Loss Adjusting revenue grew more than 18% for the third quarter, driven by increased utilization, the addition of new clients, experts, and new account nominations. Broadspire saw record quarterly revenue fueled by business development efforts that have expanded our revenue base and continued growth in Medical Management services as we add workers’ compensation clients. Our International segment also showed improved revenues and margins as our transformation of the international business continues. Platforms Solutions had meaningful growth in Contractor Connection and Subrogation, however there was offsetting softness in the Networks group where benign weather and a reduction in high-volume, low severity claim activity impacted results for the quarter. Platforms’ operating margin remained solid at mid-double digits.
“Overall, this was a very strong quarter for Crawford with healthy cash generation and further strengthening of our balance sheet.” Mr. Verma concluded.
The complete results release is available here: Crawford & Company 2023 Third Quarter Results