San Diego, CA – Awards were presented for outstanding contributions to the workers’ compensation industry at the 6th Annual Comp Laude® Awards and Gala Tuesday night in San Diego, CA.
Over 250 attendees gathered on the 4th floor pool deck of the Manchester Grand Hyatt overlooking San Diego Bay. Attendees enjoyed dinner then a magical sunset cast a golden hue over the attendees and award winners as they received their awards.
“The Comp Laude® Awards were designed to highlight what’s right in our industry,” said Kristen Chavez, Director of Operations and Business Development. According to event speaker and attendee Chris Brigham, MD, “This event is like no other in the industry. It captures the heart and soul of David DePaolo’s vision for bringing all parts of the industry together.”
The Comp Laude® Awards, means “with honor” and were presented to individuals and companies representing many segments of the workers compensation industry, even injured workers. This year, awards were presented in 11 categories:
- People’s Choice Award: Becky Curtis, Take Courage Coaching®
- Employer, Dawn Watkins, Los Angeles Unified School District
- Applicant / Claimant Attorney, Robert Keefe, Esq.
- Defense Attorney, Dawn Traverso, Eraclides Law Firm
- Claims Professional, Dorothy Albrecht, Sedgwick
- Medical Professional, Nick Tsourmas, MD, Texas Mutual
- Medical Facility, Craig Hospital
- Service Provider, Rising Medical Solutions
- Work Comp Philanthropy, Maria Henderson; Kids’ Chance of CA
- Industry Leader, Abbie Hudgens, Tennessee Bureau of Workers Comp
- Five injured workers received awards: Jeremy Romero, Julie Swan-Paez, Carlos Castaneda, Kayla Frederick and Carolyn Arambula.
The top two awards were presented to individuals selected for their career contributions
to the workers compensation industry:
- David Langham, Magna Comp Laude® (with great honor), Deputy Chief Judge of Compensation Claims, Florida
- Summa Comp Laude® (with highest honor) also known as the David J. DePaolo Award, Kimberly George, Sedgwick
For a complete list of nominees and finalists, click here.
Next year’s Comp Laude Awards and Gala event is scheduled for October 9-11 in San Diego, CA.