Columbus, OH – The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) Public Employment Risk Reduction Program (PERRP) has launched new Safety Alert fact sheets for public employers to use as an educational tool. PERRP Safety Alerts (PSAs) are advisory in nature, informational in content, and intended to assist public employers in providing a safe and healthful workplace.
The first PERRP Safety Alert – “Hazards of tree felling and trimming operations” – discusses reducing or eliminating tree work related accidents. Recent public employee fatalities during tree work operations have demonstrated a need to bring attention to these hazardous conditions. Since 2001, nine Ohio public employees have been fatally injured during tree felling and trimming operations.
Tree work operations can be dangerous and may result in severe injury or death when proper precautions and work practices are not developed and carried out in the workplace. Implementing the actions described in this new PERRP Safety Alert can help protect public employees from serious or fatal injuries during tree work operations.
Each PERRP Safety Alert will be available at bwc.ohio.gov and will have some or all of the following components:
- Purpose – explains the issue we want to alert people about
- Stats – national and statewide numbers showing why there is a concern
- Safeguards – suggested safeguards to reduce or eliminate workplace hazards
- Final thoughts – other helpful information on the topic from our internal experts
- Resources – a list of places to find more information and training we offer relating to the topic.
PERRP Safety Alerts (PSAs) are not a new standard or regulation and create no new legal obligations.
To learn more about the PERRP Safety Alerts and PERRP compliance assistance services included as part of an employer’s workers’ compensation premiums, visit the Safety section of bwc.ohio.gov.
Source: Ohio BWC