Austin, TX – The Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation (TDI-DWC) approved ten renewals of the Certificates of Authority for companies to self-insure their workers’ compensation claims for a one-year period under the TDI-DWC Self-Insurance Program. These companies collectively employ approximately 30,579 employees in Texas.
Under Texas law, certain large, private companies can self-insure for workers’ compensation claims, while retaining the protection of the Texas Workers’ Compensation Act for the company and for its employees. To qualify, a company must have a minimum workers’ compensation insurance unmodified manual premium of $500,000 and meet other requirements subject to annual review.
The following companies received self-insurance certificates:
- Poly-America, L.P., Grand Prairie
- Archer-Daniels-Midland Company, Decatur, IL
- FedEx Ground Package System, Inc., Moon Township, PA
- Hyatt Corporation, Chicago, IL
- Lockheed Martin Corporation, Fort Worth
- Parker-Hannifin Corporation, Cleveland, OH
- Union Tank Car Company, Chicago, IL
- AAA Cooper Transportation, Dothan, AL
- VF Corporation, Greensboro, NC
- American Electric Power Company, Inc., Columbus, OH
For more information on applying to the Self-Insurance Regulation program, visit the TDI website.