Chicago, IL – Governor Pat Quinn recently announced the appointment of three new arbitrators to the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission (IWCC) who perform the duty of enforcing the provision of the Workers’ Compensation Act. These three arbitrators will join the 27 who are currently serving. In 2011, Governor Quinn championed and signed into law historic workers’ compensation reform legislation to overhaul the system in Illinois. Today’s announcement continues the Governor’s commitment to making Illinois government more efficient, accountable and effective.
“These individuals have years of professional experience that will benefit the Illinois’ workers’ compensation program,” Governor Quinn said. “I am pleased to appoint these arbitrators and a commissioner who will work for the people of Illinois to resolve workers’ compensation cases in a manner which treats injured workers with respect and ensures that employers in Illinois receive a fair and efficient resolution to claims.”
The reforms signed into law by Governor Quinn in 2011 called on the Governor to appoint new arbitrators to the Commission, considering the recommendations made by the Workers’ Compensation Advisory Board, which is a body composed of six members representing the employer community and six members representing employees and working people in Illinois. Arbitrators at the Commission are responsible for ruling on claims filed by employees who suffer an injury at work.
The law requires that all newly-appointed arbitrators must be attorneys and that both arbitrators and Commissioners are subject to the ethical rules and requirements followed by Illinois judges. Arbitrators and Commissioners must also take at least 20 hours of training every two years while in office regarding professional and ethical standards, detection of fraud, evidence-based medical treatment, and Coal Workers’ Pneumoconiosis.
Governor Quinn appointed the following new Arbitrators:
- Molly Dearing, J.D., Southern Illinois University School of Law; B.A., University of Illinois – Urbana/Champaign; Associate of Arts, Southeastern Illinois College
- Jeffrey Huebsch, J.D., Illinois Institute of Technology/Chicago-Kent Law School; B.A., North Central College
- Ketki Steffen, J.D., John Marshall Law School; B.A., University of Illinois – Urbana/Champaign
The Governor has appointed the following Commissioner:
- Michael Brennan, J.D., DePaul University College of Law; B.A., DePaul University
The Governor reappointed the following Arbitrators:
- William Gallagher, J.D., Southern Illinois University-Carbondale; B.A., Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
- Carolyn Doherty, J.D., John Marshall Law School; B.A., Marquette University
- Joshua Luskin, J.D., University of Michigan; B.A., Macalester College
- Robert Williams J.D., Loyola Law School of Chicago; M.B.A. University of Illinois at Chicago; B.S., Le Moyne-Owen College
- Barbara Flores, J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law; B.S., University of Illinois
- Deborah Simpson, J.D., John Marshall Law School; B.A., DePaul University
- Brian Cronin, M.B.A., University of Chicago; B.B.A., University of Notre Dame
- Kurt Carlson, J.D., John Marshall Law School; B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Gregory Dollison, Paralegal Certificate, Roosevelt University; B.S., Illinois Institute of Technology
- Edward Lee, J.D., John Marshall Law School; B.A., Tulane University
- Molly Mason, J.D., Loyola University Law School; B.A., Harvard University
- Douglas McCarthy, J.D., Southern Illinois University Law School; M.A., Sangamon State; B.S., Illinois State University