Austin, TX – The Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation (TDI-DWC) approved two initial applications and seven renewals of the Certificates of Authority for companies to self-insure their workers’ compensation claims for a one-year period under the TDI-DWC Self-Insurance Program. These companies collectively employ approximately 35,700 employees in Texas.
Under Texas law, certain large, private companies can self-insure for workers’ compensation claims, while retaining the protection of the Texas Workers’ Compensation Act for the company and for its employees. To qualify, a company must have a minimum workers’ compensation insurance unmodified manual premium of $500,000 and meet other requirements subject to annual review.
The following companies received self-insurance certificates:
- ABF Freight System, Inc., Fort Smith, AR
- Ascension Health Alliance, St. Louis, MO
- Baptist Hospitals of Southeast Texas, Beaumont
- Jacobs Engineering Group Inc., Houston
- Leonard Family Corporation, San Antonio
- Mount Vernon Mills, Inc., Mauldin, SC
- PACCAR Inc, Bellevue, WA
- Superior Energy Services, Inc., New Orleans, LA (New)
- Williams Brothers Construction Co., Inc., Houston (New)