AUSTIN, TX – The Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation (TDI-DWC) approved twelve renewals of the Certificates of Authority for companies to self-insure their workers’ compensation claims for a one-year period under the TDI-DWC Self-Insurance Program. These twelve companies collectively employ approximately 47,700 employees in Texas.
Under Texas law, certain large, private companies can self-insure for workers’ compensation claims, while retaining the protection of the Texas Workers’ Compensation Act for the company and for its employees. To qualify, a company must have a minimum workers’ compensation insurance unmodified manual premium of $500,000 and meet other requirements subject to annual review.
The following companies received self-insurance certificates:
- Chevron Corporation, Houston
- Driver Pipeline Company, Inc., Irving
- General Motors Company, Detroit, MI
- Johns Manville, Denver, CO
- Kiewit Corporation, Omaha, NE
- Leonard Family Corporation, San Antonio
- MasTec, Inc., Coral Gables, FL
- MeadWestvaco Corporation, Richmond, VA
- PPG Industries, Inc., Allison Park, PA
- Southwestern Bell Telephone Company, Dallas
- Starbucks Corporation, Seattle, WA
- Trinity Mother Frances Health System, Tyler